Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reading with a 7-year-old...

I LOVE to read. I got this from my own mother (thank you Mama!) So naturally, since I like to read I assumed my boys would too.

[eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...WRONG!]

I have learned the following in my tenure as the Mom of a 7-year-old who does not like to read:
1. Boys do not have to be sitting when they read. It's much more entertaining when they are standing on the head or balancing like a crouching tiger.

2. I have the patience of a gnat.

3. I have learned to count to ten before speaking. Sometimes I even have to do it 10 times in a single chapter.

4. Positive reinforcement works for both parent AND child.

5. Bribes don't work...trust me.

6. Reading in the morning versus reading at night yields the same results.

~and finally~

7. Don't ever let them see your fear...it will not end well for you if they do. [sigh]

Okay...I am going to read now, probably some more Magic Tree House. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

{Kimber} said...

haha!! you are so funny
Patience of a gnat...I'm right there with ya!

Unknown said...

You will win and It will pay off...unfortunately it's a slow process!

Matt and Jolee said...

ha! I have the same problem with my 6 (almost 7) year old. It's like pulling teeth trying to get him to sit down and practice his reading - much less doing his other homework. Hope it gets better for both of us, ha!