Friday, April 24, 2009

5 on Friday...

Here I go, introducing '5 on Friday'.

This is my way of showing you some of the crazy things that go through my head (and the thinkers I look up just to fool my boys into thinking I've got the smarts!) Each Friday I am going to bring you my very own '5 on Friday' which will consist of 5 subjects that you can discuss with your children for both learning and laughing. I hope you enjoy and join in with your own if you like!

1. Geography
The Planet's Three Longest Rivers are (approximate distances as people fight about this still):
The Nile 4,130 miles
The Amazon 4,000 miles
The Yangtze 3,915 miles

Here's how you remember them- It's not 'Just say No'...it's Just say 'NAY'. Not only will you remember them, but you will know them in order of length.

2. Laughin'
Question: Why did the chicken get in trouble?
Answer: Because it was using 'fowl' language... hee hee

3. Useless Fact
A snail can sleep for 3 years.
So my question is how long can he stay awake???

4. Comics
In October 1939, Marvel Comics #1 was released which showcased the Human Torch (the original HT was an android, and I am sure not as fine looking as the current day Johnny Storm- off topic sorry...) and Namor the Sub-Mariner (he can breathe air AND water).

As an aside- I know NOTHING about the comics. Considering I have two boys and a husband who is an avid Comics lover- I am doing this section for ME so that they think I am one coooool Mama.

5. Pictionary
Forestry 101- What type of tree is on the left?

It is a Western Hemlock. One of the distinguishing features of the Hemlock is a drooping or hooking top. (Bob & I learned this on a camping trip from the local forest ranger- cool huh?) The tree on the right is a Douglas Fir which stands rigid. Next time you are driving in the mountains you can point this tree out to your friends, and they will think you are o-so-smarty-pants. Oh- and I will pay someone to come remove the 75' one from our yard- it not so good for the grass...

Now go pass along this new knowledge until next week...

1 comment:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Cute idea! I had no idea about the snails, but I will certainly share that with my students!!