Friday, May 1, 2009

It's '5 on Friday'...


Here's 5 subjects that you can discuss with your children for both learning and laughing. I hope you enjoy and join in with your own if you like!

1. Geography
The World's largest hot desert areas are:
The Sahara 3,500,000 square miles
The Arabian 1,000,000 square miles
The Gobi 500,000 square miles
Here's how you remember them- Their initial's spell out 'SAG'...

2. Laughin'
Question: How can you tell an ocean is friendly?
Answer: Because it waves!

3. Useless Fact
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
hmmmm...I don't know if I believe this one.


4. Comics
Recognize this guy???


Professor X (Charles Francis Xavier) is the founder of the X-Men. He became a paraplegic when a villian, Lucifer , caused a rockslide before he fled in defeat. Now- something to help you debate with the men in your home- Professor Charles Xaviar is widely considered the most powerful mutant on Earth. Take that Magneto!

5. Pictionary
Botany 101- What type of plant is shown below?

Calm down- it has not always been known as a weed. This, of course, is a Dandelion (location credit given to my front yard- It will thank me later when I snap it's head off to stop the spreading process...)

Now where was I???

Oh yes, Dandelions orginally came from Asia where they played a huge role in both medicine and food. Today they are being grown in India to remedy liver problems.

Here is my favorite fact though- each year fifty five tones of coffee substitutes are made from roasted Dandelion roots which is then sold in England, Australia and Canada. Maybe I should start harverting these little plants...I weeded over 100 of them last weekend, missed the one in the photo above though...

Now go pass along this new knowledge until next week...




1 comment:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I will not, and will never believe #3. sorry, I {love} my caffeine!