Saturday, March 28, 2009

Before 40 List- Number One...

So as promised yesterday, I am blogging about 'My List of things to do before I turn 40'. Now, I have 4 years to complete this list so don't freak out worry I am not going to try and do these all within a week or even a year. First of all, when you start seeing the weekly post you will know that some of them will take time...training...patience...and a little bit of stupidity (all will be revealed, eventually).

With that said, let's start with 'Number One'.

Number One:
'I will train and run a 5K.'

I am flashing back to high school. One of the things I was proud of during that time was my track performances. I was good, even spectacular at some moments. I was a sprinter and a jumper. Distance was NOT my strength...and distance to me started with one lap-400 meters-around a track. During my final year, I competed in a pentathalon- 5 events which included 100m hurdles, high jump, long jump, shot put, 800m run. Now I had an advantage because I already did three of the events on a normal rotation every week. Shot put- well lets just laugh now because there is nothing like seeing a 115lb girl through a piece of lead...don't worry, I think my coaches were laughing too.

Now-the crux- I had to run jog around this track twice. Hmmm, that shouldn't be too difficult. We practiced once - I threw up - we decided to just wing it in the pentathalon since I was notorious for awful practices.

Well- 'bang'- the race began....lets fast forward to the end. I finished second in the 800m run, but at the final 200m my coach was there to cheer me on to the finish...I think I glared daggers through him when he said, "Just 200 more meters Cassandra! You can do it!" Did he really have to remind me how much more I had to run? I knew ALREADY!

So to some of you a 5K is no big deal. Like Domestically Challenged (I love her blog), a 5K is just a warm-up for her. Or my good friend April, she trains for triathalons, a 5K is easy peasy... But to me- it will be an accomplishment...it will be hard, but I know I can do it!

I do plan on doing this one within the next few months because I have a couple of other 'Numbers' that won't be possible without the training and dedication that a simple 5K will take...

Alrighty! Have a good night. More '40 list' to follow next Saturday...oh, I did win the Pentathalon if you were curious...one of my favorite memories.

2 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Aww, you are too sweet. I was just reading along, thinking to myself, "She can do it, I know it!" when I saw my name and started to laugh!
In high school? I couldn't make it around the track one time! I would wait until my teacher was looking the other way and cut across, because I was embarrassed that I couldn't do a mile. Every mile I run now reminds me of that time!
My friend Jazz (http://carlsonclan5.blogspot.com) is doing the same thing you are. She is following a program that has been super helpful to her. Just yesterday she did 2 miles! Yay! I am going to run a 5k with her on Mother's Day. It might be worth checking out her program. I will cheer you on every step!

Matt and Jolee said...

I feel your pain! I didn't run track in high school and never have been a runner. Last year, I let Matt talk me into running a 5K with him. I hated every minute of the training, but it sure felt good when I actually completed it without stopping. It's 1/2 mental... I truly believe that now that I accomplished it. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!